I tore this page out of a magazine years ago and didn’t quite get the full story. Something about the holidays being stressful? Can anyone relate? It’s a bit of a giggle, because the recipe for ‘Make Ahead Festive Strata’ is meant to take the stress out of Christmas morning.
I love it because it’s a quick dish, you almost always have all the ingredients on hand and you make it the night before. Just add a nice plate of fresh fruit and Bob’s your uncle. Want to make it for friends at lunch? It’s always a hit served with a fresh green salad. I even make it for supper. Tonight I served it with Mr B’s favourite, Broccoli Salad. My, how I do spoil the man, LOL.
I’ve tweaked the recipe for our tastes, as you should too. This recipe is a ‘no brainer’, you can’t really miss. I usually make it for four and have left overs for lunch. To make it for 8, simply double the following. Use any bread you have on hand. Preheat oven to 350 F:
- Spray an 8 x 8 pan or casserole dish
- lay bread slices in dish
- top bread with thinly sliced turkey or ham *
- sprinkle with shredded cheddar, diced onion and chopped roasted bell peppers *
Put the following ingredients in your blender & mix well
- 4 eggs *
- 1.25 cup two percent milk
- 1 tsp Worcestershire
- 4 drops Tabasco
- 1 Tbsp Dry Mustard
Slowly pour liquids over bread. Once it settles and soaks in, top with crushed Corn Flakes or Special K. Now comes the fun part. Melt 1/4 cup butter and drizzle over prepared dish. Bake for 35 minutes at 350. Let sit for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Vegetarians can omit the meat entirely or use a meat substitute, I’ve done it both ways and it’s still delish.
- I use 3 whole eggs and 1/2 cup of egg whites, saves a few calories (I buy egg whites by the carton)
- I buy Mezzetta brand ‘Roasted Bell Peppers’, a family company in Napa Valley California.